Frank E. Reardon is Of Counsel with Pannone Lopes Devereaux & O’Gara LLC and a prominent New England health care and employment law attorney and litigator with over 30 years of experience representing individuals, providers and corporations in both civil and criminal matters. During his prestigious career, he has served as advisor, arbitrator and counsel on a wide range of issues including fraud and abuse, ethics and malpractice, discrimination and sexual harassment, and disputes involving breach of contract, whistle blowing and HIPAA and OSHA compliance. Among his health care corporate clients are Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and UMASS Medical. He has also served as Rhode Island counsel for the National Association of Government Employees and in the General Counsel’s Office of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
He is a highly respected scholar in his practice areas, having lectured and written extensively on health care legal issues for numerous publications, including the New England Journal of Medicine and The Journal of the American Medical Association. Throughout his career, Mr. Reardon has held leadership positions on professional and health care organizations’ committees and boards including serving on the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Health Section Council and as a member of the Institutional Ethics Committee of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Inc. He is a former Chairman of the Board of Directors of St. Monica’s Nursing Home in Roxbury, MA and the Medical Area Credit Union in Boston, MA and served as a trustee of Deaconess/Glover Hospital in Needham, MA.
Mr. Reardon is a founding partner of Reardon Law Office, LLC. He received a J.D. from Suffolk University Law School, a master’s degree in health and hospital administration from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and a BA in political science from the College of the Holy Cross. He is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and is admitted to the bar of the United States Supreme Court. Over his career, he has briefed and argued numerous appeals in state and federal courts and serves as an arbitrator and mediator as part of his practice and as President of Dispute Resolution in Healthcare & Hospitals.
Areas of Practice
- Health Care and Employment Law
- Massachusetts, 1978
- Rhode Island, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
Honors and Awards
- Best of Boston
- Top Attorneys in New England
- Super Lawyers
- Top Attorneys in Massachusetts
- Top Attorneys in New England
- Top Attorneys in New England
- Top Lawyers in Massachusetts
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1978
- College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts
- B.A. – 1975
- Major: Political Science
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- M.S. – 1994
- Major: Health Care Administration
- Lectured, Number of Articles and Book Chapters on Medical Legal Issues
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association’s Health Section Council, Member
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Inc., Member, Institutional Ethics Committee
- American Bar Association, (arbitrator)
- American Health Lawyers Association, (arbitrator)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Monica’s Nursing Home, Roxbury, Massachusetts
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Medical Area Credit Union, Boston, Massachusetts
- Trustee, Deaconess/Glover Hospital in Needham, Massachusetts
- Select representative matters in the health care industry counseling physicians and other health care providers, patients and their families, and business executives and corporations for over 30 years.
- Licensing Board and Government Investigations
- Represented a major teaching hospital in a federal administrative law appeal regarding whistleblowing allegations.
- Counseled a nurse who was facing disciplinary action due to missing drugs.
- Counseled a physician about his licensure application where the Board was challenging the adequacy of his residency.
- Represented a surgeon in relation to a Board of Registration investigation.
- Represented an administrator at the Board of Registration for Nursing Home Administrators.
- Represented an LPN before the nursing board in a license suspension hearing following termination from employment.
- Represented a researcher regarding grant awards.
- Represented a client at the licensing board regarding enrollment in a substance abuse program.
- Represented a solo practitioner against Medicare fraud charges.
- Represented a free standing laboratory after a state inspection that resulted in closure and advised the laboratory on steps to take to prevent this from happening again.
- Credentialing, Staff Privileges and Peer Review
- Provided consultation to a physician in a staff privileges dispute with her hospital in order to avoid disciplinary action.
- Provided consultation and representation to a surgeon who was accused of unprofessional conduct in the operating room.
- Counseled a senior physician about issues he was confronting at his hospital regarding interactions with hospitalists and other members of the professional staff.
- Litigation Representation: Employment, Malpractice, HIPAA Compliance and Management Issues
- Represented a physician at a court hearing regarding a restraining order.
- Represented several health care providers in medical malpractice and employment trials.
- Represented physicians and hospitals regarding notice of potential medical malpractice actions pursuant to the recently enacted Massachusetts General Law Chapter 60L.
- Represented a hospital regarding court ordered production of confidential HIPAA-protected materials in a divorce proceeding.
- Counseled and prepared a physician who had been subpoenaed to testify in a Superior Court action.
- Counseled and represented a client who sought assistance in bringing a pending complex and stressful trial to resolution.
- Employment, Corporate and Real Estate, Personal Planning and Personal Injury
- Represented a physician in his negotiation of an employment contract.
- Represented solo practitioner in employment lawsuit when an employee sued for sexual misconduct.
- Represented a patient caught in a reimbursement dispute between a hospital and her health insurance company.
- Represented hospital patients on a pro bono basis in legal matters that needed to be resolved due to their health conditions and was awarded a pro bono award by the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Represented a new health care facility with new business setup issues.
- Drafted health care proxy, will, and power of attorney for nurse’s ailing family member.
- Represented a nurse in a personal injury matter after she was left out of work when she was struck by a car resulting in a significant settlement.
- Represented a health care club owner in a personal injury matter after her car was struck from behind and her business suffered resulting in a settlement.
- Dispute Resolution: Negotiation, Mediation & Arbitration
- Served as an arbitrator in an employment dispute between a physician and a hospital.
- Selected to serve as one of four faculty members by the American Health Lawyers Association to conduct three day intensive mediation training programs in New Orleans and Austin.
Receive Our E-News
“What is extremely unique about PLDO is that they are great lawyers who actually care about me and my business. They make me feel as if I am the most important client in the firm and I am certain that all of their clients feel the same way. ”
President, The Droitcour Company