Joel K. Goloskie is Senior Counsel with Pannone Lopes Devereaux & O'Gara LLC and a member of the Health Care, Litigation, Cyber Law and Corporate & Business Teams. His experience ranges from compliance and HIPAA privacy matters to regulatory filings and approvals, contract drafting and management, and mergers and acquisitions. He has assisted health care clients as they dealt with compliance orders and deferred prosecution agreements, and has represented clients in both civil and criminal matters in federal court.
Mr. Goloskie recently served as Deputy General Counsel/Director of Compliance, Privacy & Ethics of a multi-hospital health care system. While there, he reviewed and drafted all contracts system-wide, and worked on complex transactions ranging from physician practice acquisitions and multi-party joint ventures to the sale of the entire nonprofit system to a for-profit chain.
Previously, Mr. Goloskie founded a highly successful health care consulting firm, providing reimbursement, compliance and strategic advisory services to over sixty hospitals in fifteen states. Over a ten year period, he guided his clients through start-ups, expansions, acquisitions, and compliance program development. In addition, his reimbursement efforts directly resulted in the recovery of tens of millions of dollars from federal and state health care programs.
Mr. Goloskie also served as founding executive director of a nonprofit corporation consisting of four hospitals and several community health centers. His unique knowledge and experience proves highly valuable to clients seeking solutions to complex legal and business matters.
Prior to embarking on a career in health care, Mr. Goloskie was a captain in the U.S. Air Force, serving as an Instructor/Evaluator Special Operations Navigator on C-130 and C-141 aircraft.
Mr. Goloskie received a J.D. from Boston College Law School, an M.B.A. from Webster University, and a B.S. from Thomas College. During law school, he interned for a U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge in Boston. He is active in the American Health Lawyers Association, the American College of Healthcare Executives, the Health Care Compliance Association, the Rhode Island Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association, where he serves on the Steering Committee of the 800-member Health Law Section, and co-chairs the Health Law Education Committee. He is admitted to the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Webster University
- Thomas College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Health Law Section Steering Committee , Member
- Boston Bar Association, Health Law Education Committee, Co-chair
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Health Care Compliance Association, Member
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Member
- Facilitated $100 million capital infusion into non-profit hospital system by investor group: created new for-profit health care system with shared ownership by for-profit capital partner and non-profit community board. Transaction entailed a 56-page closing checklist.
- Serves as HIPAA Compliance Counsel to the nation’s largest cloud-based analytics platform, housing medical data pertaining to over 230 million Americans and 30 billion medical events.
- Built/upgraded Regulatory and HIPAA Compliance Programs and advised clients on related issues for nearly 20 years – from HHS’ first publication of Compliance Program Guidance in 1998 to recent development of integrated Legal, Compliance and Ethics departments, processes and training programs for newly-integrated multi-hospital system.
- Assists full range of medical and behavioral health providers in reimbursement disputes with governmental and third-party payors. Recovered over $40 million in Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement for 60 hospital in 15 states.
- Assisted federal court-appointed monitors in overseeing implementation of hospital’s Compliance and Ethics programs as part of second-in-nation Deferred Prosecution Agreement between hospital and U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Prevailed in appeal of $6 million “use and occupancy” award in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Established new legal threshold for test of unjust enrichment.
- Represented 12 Massachusetts and Rhode Island developmental disability providers in federal court action, led to state agency agreement with providers that avoided future funding cuts.
- Developed and actively guiding growth of leading-edge multi-state medical franchise system. Lucrative business model provides alternative for physicians dissatisfied with 7-minute patient encounters, increased centralization and labyrinthine external compensation metrics.
- Developing dental management services organization in high-end, full-service niche of market. Experience with dental recruiting services (both new grads and near-retirees) creating a strategic advantage for both site placement and staffing. Targeting niche unserved by national chains.
- Guiding growth of integrated care institute in New York and Southeast New England; helping establish locations, assemble academic and practitioner staff, create contractual structures, etc.
- Supporting expansion of opioid treatment center into innovative, reimbursable service lines; building model that can be replicated nationally to respond to exploding national epidemic.
- Assisting the ACA-fueled growth of a federally-qualified health center from a community clinic into the largest provider of primary and specialty services in New England’s third-largest city. Building Compliance and Privacy program consistent with growth of enterprise.
- Advising NYC-based health care consulting firm on fraud and abuse aspects of pharmaceutical clients’ providing co-pay cards for both the underlying drug and related administration services.
- Created collaborative of four rural hospitals and three federally-qualified health centers, obtained 501(c)(3) status and multiple grants, including from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; served as executive director for first year until growth required hiring of full-time director.
- Represented seller of home care agency in seven-digit transaction complicated by fact that buyer was international corporation with foreign headquarters.
- Advised client on complex fraud and abuse aspects of sale of partial ownership interest in Medicare-participating provider to physicians and other investors.
- Counselled several Florida-based entities on significant fraud and abuse exposure related to the provision of marketing services for federally-funded health care entities.
- Guiding data analytics start-up through initial phases of formation, client acquisition, funding strategies. Advising client on differentiation; CEO presenting at various forums including TEDx.
- Positioned ambulance company owner to obtain sentence one-third below federal minimum sentencing guideline, despite federal court finding client guilty of obstructing a federal audit, making false statements and two counts of health care fraud.
- Developed defense of orthotics supply company owner that led state Medicaid Fraud Unit to drop criminal charges despite client’s partner having been convicted and agreeing to testify in client’s trial.
- Represented numerous organizational and individual clients before federal and state regulatory bodies, ranging from Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to boards of professional licensure and discipline.